Airport officials are planning to offer leases to 14 different companies at the Terminal 2 concessions area, which will be remodeled by 2014 as part of the Green Build.
Here are some things to keep in mind…
- Must be a business that has demonstrated expertise in the development and operation of food service and/or retail establishments at airports or other transportation centers, shopping centers, malls, or metropolitan or suburban areas.
- Have a minimum of 3 years prior experience within the last 5 years on such projects.
- Be able to deal with fluctuating traffic because of factors such as airport construction projects, changes in airline traffic and airport security requirements.
- Accept at least 3 major credit cards.
- Must be open 365 days a year. Basic hours of operation may vary from 5 a.m. to midnight, depending on service concept and flight schedules.
Facilities & operation
- Restaurant or shop must be designed to accommodate passengers, their luggage and strollers.
- Deliveries have to be scheduled and screened, and employees must have badges reflecting security clearance.
- Your operating costs for trash service, insurance and other expenses will be up to 30 percent higher than those for comparable locations. But your sales per square foot will be typically two to three times higher than in most regional shopping centers.
- Passengers often travel across time zones; therefore, a full menu should be available at all times.
- Customers must be served quickly. This constraint must be taken into consideration when menus and point-of-sale areas are developed.
- You may be asked to provide a sample of your proposed to-go packaging materials.
- Restaurants are encouraged but not required to incorporate environmentally friendly, local and healthy ingredients. Some examples include organic California produce, antibiotic-free meat and fair-trade coffee.
To read 92101 Urban Living’s former blog about the airport click on San Diego International Airport – is Getting a Facelift and to learn more about the project on San Diego International Airport . ')}