As Phase 1 of the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan is moving forward with full power along the water front in the Columbia District in Downtown San Diego the area along Harbor Drive as well as along West Broadway are in the process of making a transformation.
This phase will include;
- Move North Harbor Drive further east
- Improve the waterfront walkway from the Navy Pier to B Street
- Improve West Broadway from North Harbor Drive east to the railroad tracks
- Add a third left-turning lane from southbound North Harbor Drive to eastbound Grape Street
Construction that is currently taking place is;
- San Diego Gas & Electric is relocating their utilities in preparation for the Phase 1 project’s new alignment of North Harbor Drive
- USS Cal Builders, the Phase 1 contractor, will begin site demolition on the east side of North Harbor Drive, south of West Broadway
The Port of San Diego has a great website where you can find biweekly updates about the progress of the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan Phase 1 construction. You should definitely check it out at www.portofsandiego.org.
To read former 92101 Urban Living’s blogs about this project click on A look inside Downtown San Diego’s North Embarcadero Visionary Plan, The “North Embarcadero Visionary Plan” in Downtown San Diego is to be Heard at the California Coastal Commission Meeting! Public Infrastructure Project – “North Embarcadero Visionary Plan Phase 1″ in Downtown San Diego! and The “North Embarcadero Visionary Plan” Hearing Delayed Until April 2010!.