Hotel Indigo in the Gaslamp District in Downtown San Diego is keeping its promise to the environment by being a green building and has developed practices into the design, construction and operation of the hotel. Hotel Indigo opened up its doors in August 2009 and is the first hotel to be LEED certified in Southern California. LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.
Hotel Indigo is the:
- First sustainably-built hotel in San Diego
- First hotel in San Diego to achieve LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council
- One of only 7 LEED-certified hotels in California and one of 19 LEED-certified hotels in the U.S.
- First Downtown San Diego building to have a green roof
- First LEED-certified hotel in the U.S. for InterContinental Hotels Group
- Constructed hotel on previously developed site; implemented waste management plan to recycle non-hazardous materials and divert waste from city landfills
- Located in dense urban area within walking or cycling distance to public transportation (San Diego Trolley, buses, harbor ferry), housing, retail and entertainment options
- Green roof on 9th and 12th floors with native species of drought-tolerant plants to help reduce heating and air conditioning costs and filter storm water
- Runoff; herbs grown in 9th floor Phi Bar Terrace herb garden to be used in menu items at Phi Bar and Bistro
- On-site recycling program, including Phi Bar and Bistro pantry recycling/composting on roof
- Adoption of eco-friendly food and beverage containers, either paper or recycled corn plastic
- Improved indoor air quality due to no smoking policy and quality ventilation systems
- Low VOC paints, coatings, sealants, adhesives, and carpet used for better indoor air quality
- Design allows for ample natural day lighting to help optimize energy efficiency
- Reserved parking spaces and parking discounts for guests who drive low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles
- Preferred parking for employees that car pool; bike racks and shower facilities for those who bike to work, reducing reliance on fuel and parking spaces
Downtown San Diego Condo homeowners in The Mark and Diamond Terrace and Downtown San Diego Loft homeowners in M2i and Fahrenheit and San Diego visitors take the change to experience something new, visit Hotel Indigo for breakfast, lunch, dinner or the Phi Terrace for an evening cocktail to enjoy the breathtaking views over Downtown San Diego.
To read our former blogs about Hotel Indigo please visit Hotel Indigo in Downtown San Diego – Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design! and Now Open! Hotel Indigo in the Gaslamp District in Downtown San Diego!