A revised version of the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan in the Columbia District in Downtown San Diego was recommended for approval by the California Coastal Commission staff and is expected to be approved by the commission at its meeting on April 13-14, 2011.
The $29.6 million project has been under discussion since 1998 and has been stymied with implementation by issues with politics, economics and objection from environmentalists.
If the commission approves the plan, construction could begin next January with completion by mid 2013.
The revised plan calls for:
- Beautifying and landscaping Broadway west from Pacific Highway to the waterfront and Harbor Drive between B Street and Navy Piers
- Tripling the esplanade along the water to a width of 105 feet
- Adding cafe pavilions and restrooms
- A 150 foot wide public park in the Lane Field hotel development site at the northeast corner of Broadway and Harbor Drive
- Long range plans call for the setback park to be extended all the way north past the County Administration Center
To read 92101 Urban Living’s former blogs abut the North Embarcadero Visionary Plan 1 click on A look inside Downtown San Diegos North Embarcadero Visionary Plan, The North Embarcadero Visionary Plan in Downtown San Diego is to be Heard at the California Coastal Commission Meeting! Public Infrastructure Project – North Embarcadero Visionary Plan Phase 1″ in Downtown San Diego! and The North Embarcadero Visionary Plan Hearing Delayed Until April 2010!. ')}